About Me

My photo
We're a young family who have decided to blog our progress from getting an allotment to...well...wherever we end up!

Wednesday 10 June 2009

House of Glass

So, the plants have been popped in it's time to get the greenhouse up!

I'm no builder.
I got advice and started work on setting up the foundation for it. The advice given was really just to raise it up off the floor to maximise the head height so I built the base on concrete blocks. I marked out the footprint, with the knowledge of another allotment holder who was an ex builder. I then started to build away...HATED every minute of it - I know why I'm not a builder!! Finally managed to get the base built, popped on the greenhouse frame I'd built (which was fairly easy and enjoyable) only to find....It wasn't square!?!?
I'd followed the geometric tips from the builder. Didn't work so I just knocked one wall down and built in 'by eye'. Worked and the frame sat on well enough to screw down. Unfortunately B&Q didn't have all the glass in stock so I'd ordered it and just put the glass I picked up into the frame. Several days later I got the call, "Mr Wood, your glass is in stock". I headed over, picked it up and started to put it in. Thinking that I'd have it finished that day....no.....the last 4 panes of glass were all cracked!! I went back, re-ordered replacement glass and had to wait almost another 2 weeks for it to arrive but once it did it all went in smoothly and the greenhouse was up! I got out my Prayer flags, tied them up and sat back to admire our great new piece of kit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment